We said our
goodbyes to Melissa and her family, glad to see her safe.
“Do you want
kids?” I asked as we got into the car.
He shrugged,
“I haven’t really thought about it. One day, sure.”
I turned out
of the parking lot and got back onto the interstate.
“Could you
drive a little faster? My meeting started five minutes ago.” I pressed on the
gas pedal and the speedometer passed seventy.
When we got to
his apartment I double-parked and he got out of the car and opened the door to
the backseat, reaching for his coat. He picked up a little girl’s lunchbox and
opened it. He pocketed a packet of fruit chews and pulled out a note.
“‘Have a great
day at school, love Dad.’” Richard smiled, “What a good dad. I’m definitely
going to write notes in my kid’s lunch.” I blinked. He put the note back in the
lunch box, carefully folding the flap over and securing the Velcro. “Well, I’ll
see you later,” he said, and walked back into his house.
“Yeah,” I
said, “I’ll see you later.” And I was sure that I wanted to.
No comments:
Post a Comment