Response to Andrea Gonzalez’s “Neoteny”
Meredith is
a girl in college who lives in Birmingham. She tries to deal with the fact that
her sister got pregnant, and decided to tell her through a text message. She
goes with her brother to pick up their sister from the airport, and they end up
fighting about the baby and almost crashing.
I really
like all of the imagery you had in your story, especially your description of
the messiness of waking up in the morning on the first page. I also really like
how you showed Meredith’s distraction and avoidance while she was on the phone
with Elena on page 3 by having her think about the state of her kitchen. You do
a really nice job of conveying Meredith’s emotions to us with images as well,
like when her hands are sweaty, or her picking junk out of her nails while
talking with her mother. One of my favorite parts was when Meredith rants in
her head about the conversation she had with her mother on page 6, especially when
you say “she seemed to be alternating between the stages of scary Latin woman
rage to uncontrollable weeping.”
For
revision, I think your story could benefit from more action. Instead of having
Elena text her, maybe she could show up and surprise her with the information.
It would bring more action to the page and create more conflict between the two
sisters. I would also like to see some of the scene where Meredith and her
mother are talking. We only really see how she reacts to the situation when she
is alone, and I think it would be nice to see how she reaches out to others for
advice and support. As a character, Elena seems a little flat. She seems
pregnant and proud, not caring what everyone thinks of her, except I get the
feeling that that is a façade, and that she does have doubts and insecurities. After
the two fight, if she expresses those, maybe that can help the two girls bond.
I also think we need more backstory on why Elena is having such a hard time
accepting this. Is it because of religious background, her own ideals about
life, etc.
Your story
deals with a really interesting concept that has a lot of potential for a lot
of drama and conflict!
No comments:
Post a Comment