Sunday, November 17, 2013

Workshop Response- Christina Bianca


Workshop Response to Christina Bianca’s Story

            This is a memoir of when Christina said goodbye to her father, who was going away with the Marine Corps, for the thirteenth time, and realized there was a good chance that he wouldn’t come home.
            Fist, I love all of the details you have in your story about the military and Marine Corps in particular. I learned a lot of new things, like with the tattoo you described on page three. I loved that I could tell it was your voice throughout your story, especially on the first page when you side track at the end of the first paragraph. I think you did a really nice job with the structure of the inverted check mark. You had a really great climax, when you found the letter, and a great resolution, when you took strength from it on page four. It wasn’t the clichéd ending of the girl who cries and is comforted by her mother, which I found really refreshing.
            I think your story could benefit from a little more description. For example, on the first page, I wasn’t really sure where you and your family were. I assume it was outside, since helicopters were there. It seemed to be a little formal, since you and your family were dressed up, and there was a podium, so I think a little more description of the surroundings could help. I’m sure there were flags, and everyone was in uniform, stuff like that.
            I was left with one big question at the end of your story: did you dad die on his mission? You had said that he left the paper with the tattoo and note because he knew he was in serious danger on page three, and his note on page four made it sound like he knew he wasn’t coming home, but I felt that this was unresolved at the end of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment