Saturday, November 9, 2013

Workshop Response- Mary-Kate Sherer

Response to Mary-Kate Sherer

           The larger significance in this work is the idea that the future is unknown and life can take you anywhere, but some things, like Mary-Kate’s passion for cooking, remain constant.
            I like how you display your knowledge of cooking. It really gave me the sense that you knew what you were talking about. I could feel how excited you were when you flipped the vegetables and succeeded in catching them on page three. I actually laughed when I read what your dad said about the heat on page two, that you should turn down the heat while cooking. My dad says that just about every time I cook, and always tells me that that’s the reason my mom burns a lot of food. It was a really nice personal moment that showcased a little of your relationship with your dad while also allowing you to showcase your knowledge of cooking.
            For revision, I would suggest spicing up or cutting out some of the imagery and descriptions you use in the beginning while you’re making dinner. It seemed to lag some. I liked how you talked about the joy you experience during preparation, but I would have liked to know if you get a lot of joy from people’s reactions to your food. I know when I cook, I can’t wait to see if the people I’m serving liked it or not. At the top of page two, you kind of hint at that when you say that people often use food to show love. I think you could really elaborate on that point. I thought you did a really nice job with incorporating your larger idea and not sounding cheesy (pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment