Katie Pollard’s Poem, “The Ocean”
I
absolutely love the way this poem sounds and the images it creates. I think
Katie used personification extremely well- I could envision and feel what the
ocean was feeling, especially here, “By drowning, dragging, pulling, / she gets
what she wants and none / can calm her”. I also liked how she stayed away from
clichés, which are so easy to come by when writing about the ocean. My favorite
line of the poem is the first two lines of the last stanza, “She whispers, she
sighs, she tells / Secrets of lovers and wars”. I love the picture this
creates, and again the personification helps to clarify this image.
I think
that, while this poem is full of great imagery, the poem would benefit from
concrete images of the ocean. Without reading the title, one wouldn’t be able
to completely comprehend the subject of the poem. I also enjoyed the line
breaks, and how thoughts flow from one sentence to the next, though I think
sometimes it falls at a strange place, without having the desired effect of
enjambment (lines 4-5).
The poem
has a very nice sound, which is attributed to the use of consonance of the
letters s and o, and the repetition in the first line of each stanza. I really
like the second stanza, I think that effectively uses consonance.
No comments:
Post a Comment