Saturday, September 14, 2013

Workshop Response- "Hudson"

Timothy Collier's Poem "Hudson"

            This seems to be a voice poem, written from the voice of someone other than the author. Timothy does a good job of using consonance, especially in the second line of the second stanza: “silly sentimentality”. I also enjoyed the first line of the poem, “I’m gone, man, out”.  I think it expresses the speaker’s impatience with his circumstances very well.

            The stanzas are very long, and I think it would benefit the poem to play with their structure and length. The flow of the poem also seems to have some trouble. I think this can be attributed partially to the “…” in the first stanza. I was thrown off by those and didn’t understand their purpose, especially when they begin a line. I think it would also help the flow to reverse the words “early” and “Tuesday” in the second line of the first stanza. I think this poem would also benefit from more concrete imagery-I didn’t really understand what was going on in the poem, other than the speaker wanted a fresh start somewhere. I think the word choice in the opening of the second stanza, “despondency”, and “silly sentimentality” seem very formal compared to the laid back language in the first stanza. I also did not understand how the last stanza fit into the rest of the poem, though I liked the imagery it provided. In the last stanza, I was also confused by the word “refound Grace”. Are you saying it was re-found, as in found again? I think to achieve that same effect you could simply say “found”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment